Case Study: Staffing for Accelerated Distribution Center Launch
- Urgent customer need to set up distribution center in 2 weeks
- Distribution center had specific requirements including:
- 11 loading doors
- 14 staging lanes
- 8 unloading doors
- Initial request was for forklift drivers, but client realized complex task demanded experienced materials and warehousing experts
- Assigned two seasoned team leaders to the project
- One expert held Lean Six Sigma Black Belt credentials and a track record of optimizing operational efficiency
- One expert proficient in operations and maintenance
- Warehouse Layout Optimization: Team leaders defined a dynamic inventory assignment layout
- Efficient Process Design: Designed an efficient put-away and pick process
- WMS Integration: Populated part location data into the Warehouse Management System (WMS) to manage thousands of SKUs
Exceeding Customer Targets: Successfully unloaded and put away over 100 trailers in the first week. Achieved 8,500 lines picked per day, compared to target of 7,000
Ahead of Schedule: Customer well-prepared to commence shipments ahead of the original schedule.
Management Focus: Customer's management team found itself freed up to focus on the second phase of the project earlier than anticipated.
Request for Additional Support: Customer requested additional team members from PSS to completely replace a competitor in the project.